Before buying a chandelier, one must understand a few aspects that will help in choosing one. Consider the following points when you are out to select a chandelier.
- Style: Chandeliers add beauty to your space. Apart from being beautiful, chandeliers should also blend in with the style and décor of your house. So, choose one that best fits the style and design of your house.
- Price: Chandeliers can be very affordable or can be very expensive. The price completely depends on the design and intricacies of the product. One can always choose the one that fits their style and budget. Also, consider the installation and delivery cost of the chandelier while choosing one.
- Size: The height and width of the chandelier depend on where you intend to install it. Use the rule of thumb to determine the right size.
- Type of Bulbs used: Choose the type of bulb being used in a chandelier – CFL or LED. Also, select the other features of the bulb- bright or dimmable depending on your requirement.
- Installation and Care: Some chandeliers would require professionals to install them. The installation cost would depend on the size, weight, and design of the chandelier. Do check that while choosing a chandelier. Also, pay attention to the ease of cleaning and care needed for the chandelier.
Various Kinds of Chandeliers
Chandeliers come in various shapes and styles. Below are some of the most common ones.
- Candelabra Chandeliers: These are designed to replicate the traditional chandeliers but are powered with electricity and have bulbs in place of candles.
- Multi-Tiered Chandeliers: These chandeliers, as the name suggests, have multiple levels of light that add a royal feel to your space. Multi-tiered chandeliers are used in places where the ceiling height is high enough for one.
- Crystal Chandeliers: Crystal chandeliers have glass parts to reflect light in a unique way making them look very elegant and luxurious.
- Chandelier with Shades: The shades of chandeliers come in different shapes (drum, globe, etc.), colours, and styles. These chandeliers are usually used for ambient lighting.
- Drum Chandeliers: A drum chandelier is simply one with a shade in the shape of a drum.
- Mini Chandeliers: Not all chandeliers are huge and grand. Some chandeliers are made small in size to fit small spaces: these are mini chandeliers. They have the visual appeal of a majestic chandelier but are suitable for small areas.
What should be the Right size and height of a Chandelier?
To determine the right size of a chandelier, measure the length and width of the space in feet, sum them up and that will be the approximate diameter for the chandelier in inches. For example, if the length and breadth of the room is 15*15 ft., the diameter of the chandelier should be approximately 30 inches.
As for the height of the chandelier, take the height of your room and multiply it by 2.5 or 3. The result in inches will be the height of the chandelier. For example, if the height of the room is 12 ft., then the height of the chandelier should be between 30-36 inches.
The Ideal Placement for Your New Decor Piece
The ideal placement of the chandelier completely depends on the room it is going to be used in. Different rooms will have different selection considerations.
Choosing a Chandelier for the Living Room
For a living room you may go with the general rule of selecting a chandelier i.e. measuring the length and width of the room in ft., and summing them up. The diameter of the chandelier will be the sum in inches. After choosing the size, choose the type of light you want to have in the living room. The living room is a place where the whole family spends time and bonds together. So, people usually prefer warm white light in living rooms.
Choosing a Chandelier for the Kitchen
If you are planning to hang a chandelier above a dining table or kitchen island then select the size of the chandelier according to the size of the dining table or kitchen island. It is recommended that the diameter of the chandelier be at least one-half to two-thirds the size of the dining table or kitchen island.
Choosing a Chandelier for the Bedroom
Calculate the diameter of the chandelier in the same way as you calculated for the living room. In addition to that also consider the function of the chandelier in the bedroom, is it for ambiance lighting or mood lighting? Depending on the function, go for the chandelier that best suits your purpose.
Choosing a Chandelier for the Children's Room
Before choosing a chandelier for the children’s room, measure the dimensions of the room. Make sure the height of the ceiling is appropriate for placing a chandelier. The chandelier should have at least 7’ clearance from the floor so that it may not hit anyone in the head. The diameter of the chandelier can be taken as the sum of the length and width of the room in inches. Another important consideration for the children’s room should be the material and fixture of the chandelier. It should be such that it doesn’t easily break into fragments should a toy hit it. Lastly, go for the style that adds a fun element to the room, or choose one that complements the personality of the child.
What are the Most Preferred Chandeliers?
Choosing a chandelier wholly depends on your preference and selection criteria. There are no chandeliers that will be a perfect fit for every need and everyone. You do not want to go for the most preferred chandelier, go for the one that complements your style, design, and space
Are chandeliers expensive?
Chandeliers are more than just luxury decorative pieces nowadays. One can find a lot of inexpensive chandelier options in the market today. They come in a variety of styles, sizes, brands, and price ranges. Some chandeliers are cheap, while others are more costly. A premium chandelier can be considerably more expensive. A more premium chandelier will typically have a more intricate design and lighting.