Nowadays every object has a smart version so why not light bulbs? Smart LED Bulbs are connected to wi-fi and enable you to dim them, change their colour or switch them on and off. Check out the Smart Bulbs at TEKLED to complete your smart house design. ###
What are Smart Bulbs?
A smart bulb is a smart way to lighten up your home. A smart bulb is an LED light bulb that allows lighting to be controlled, customised and scheduled remotely. Smart bulbs are connected to your phones via the internet and can be operated with the help of an app in your phone. Some can also be operated by a remote controller. The internet connectivity on bulbs make it possible for vendors to add in more features such as built-in-cameras, built-in-speakers and motion-sensing capabilities.
What do Smart Bulbs do?
Smart bulbs help you control your lighting via a remote or an app on your phone. You can automate your lighting, switch it on or off, change colour of your lighting plus schedule its on or off hours all remotely. Some smart light bulbs also work with voice-activated assistants like Amazon Echo/ Alexa or Google Home. Smart lights can communicate with each other, and with your phone or other devices, wirelessly.
Are Smart Bulbs Better Than Regular Bulbs?
Smart bulbs are better than the regular incandescent bulbs in terms of energy efficiency. But if we compare them to LED bulbs, they are actually a new variant of LED bulbs. They have added features of being controlled remotely, they give a varied range of colours and they can be synced to other devices such as musical devices to control the ambience of a room as per ones mood. Here are a list of features that are available in Smart bulbs and were not available in the earlier versions of bulbs.
- Smart bulbs can be controlled from anywhere- if you have forgotten to switch off your lights when leaving your home, you can do so from hundreds of miles away via the app.
- Brightness can be changed easily. With an active internet connection smart bulbs cab easily be dimmed. Once connected, you can change its brightness anytime through the accompanying app.
- Control temperature- Controlling temperature can easily be done for a smart bulb, hence changing the colour of the space.
- Voice control- Smart light bulbs are also voice controlled via Alexa, Google Home.
- Smart bulbs make your home more accessible- it is easier for some differently abled people to use smart bulb with the help of their voices and/or motion.
- Add colours to your space- One can easily control the colour of the lighting of your space with the help of the app or the remote.
- One can use smart lighting controls to create lighting that works with your body’s internal process that regulates the sleep–wake cycle.
- You can control lighting in a way that it switches on/off at random times when you are away so that it can depict that someone is really at home and hence deter the thieves from entering.
- Smart Light bulbs are an inexpensive way to start experimenting to make your home smarter
Can you replace any bulb with Smart Bulbs?
Smart light bulbs are designed to work with regular light fixtures and switches. This makes them easy to set up and replace the existing light bulb, because no rewiring is needed. But sometimes, regular switches interfere with smart bulbs because regular switches are not controlled remotely. For this reason one may consider connecting smart bulbs to smart switches, which are easily controlled via the app.
What Should Be Considered When Choosing Smart Bulbs?
A few points should be considered when choosing a Smart bulb.
- What features are important to you- voice activation, motion sensing or built in camera?
- What is your financial plan before investing into smart bulbs: how much are you willing to spend on a smart lighting system?
- How do you want to control lights- using Alexa or your phone or your remote?
Are Smart Bulbs Costly?
The cost of a smart bulb depends on the brand, model and the features present in the bulb. Additional cost may be incurred if you opt to buy a hub. In simple terms, smart bulbs are costlier than regular LED bulbs, but they last very long, so they are worth the initial investment.
Do Smart Bulbs Save Energy?
Since smart bulbs are a variant of LED bulbs, they are energy efficient in comparison to an incandescent bulb. Smart bulbs do consume very little power when in standby mode as they need to be connected to the Wi-Fi or Bluetooth network. This means they are always ready to be switched on when needed. And while smart bulbs do use slightly more energy than non-smart LED bulbs, the difference is very small. In the long run, smart bulbs are still very energy efficient.
What are the Types of Smart Bulbs?
Smart Lamps/ Light bars- Smart Lights in the form of bars/ tube lights to add a different feel to the space being illuminated.
Smart Strips- Smart Light Strips are a great way to add light to areas such as desks, tables, under cabinets and in closets.
Smart Outdoor Lights- Light for outdoor settings which are more robust and waterproof.
What are Smart Bulbs Colours?
Smart light bulbs can be adjusted to any colour of your choice. You can choose from any colour of the rainbow. Aside from choosing colours, you can also choose the brightness. In other words, a smart bulbs can present to you around a million colours to choose from.